Friday, January 12, 2007

First Attempt Friday

I want to start off by saying I've read so many great blogs in the past few months that I could nearly quit before I begin.
But I'm spurred on by the many options for involvement with other knitters that exist in a place other than the local coffee shop or knitting shop.
I'm currently sitting in my usual spot: my kitchen/family room. On my big green couch on which there are permanent bottom marks from myself and my dogs. To my left my giant basket full of bags of unfinished knitting projects, and dh curled in a chair watching some football thing with Calvin (8 month old Lab mix puppy) while Finnegan (9 year old mutty mix we affectionately termed a "chicken cow" you'll see why as pictures are added) szchnoozes next to me, while emitting noxious gasses. The kids are in bed, and we're debating whether or not we can both stay up late enough to watch an entire movie, or not. If we do I might be able to sum up the energy to continue adding ears to my little teddy bear booties for my niece to match the hat and add the facial details via embroidery. That should be fun. I haven't embroidered anything since uh... I don't know - 1970 something? Maybe? Or finish dh's Christmas socks - one of two pair that I haven't completed. But first let's start with this as an interesting project- something I discovered rather by chance one afternoon called "The Proust Questionnaire". There are actually two of them. One filled out when he was 13 and the other when he was 20.
You can read more about it here
I would like to fill it out as it pertains to me, but this is how Marcel Proust filled out the first in 1884 - I believe. Don't quote me on that one. The second one, shown below was 7 years later.


See below:

Your most marked characteristic?
A craving to be loved, or, to be more precise, to be caressed and spoiled rather than to be admired
The quality you most like in a man?
Feminine charm
The quality you most like in a woman?
A man's virtues, and frankness in friendship
What do you most value in your friends?
Tenderness - provided they possess a physical charm which makes their tenderness worth having
What is your principle defect?
Lack of understanding; weakness of will
What is your favorite occupation?
Loving
What is your dream of happiness?
Not, I fear, a very elevated one. I really haven't the courage to say what it is, and if I did I should probably destroy it by the mere fact of putting it into words.
What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
Never to have known my mother or my grandmother
What would you like to be?
Myself - as those whom I admire would like me to be
In what country would you like to live?
One where certain things that I want would be realized - and where feelings of tenderness would always be reciprocated. [Proust's underlining]
What is your favorite color?
Beauty lies not in colors but in thier harmony
What is your favorite flower?
Hers - but apart from that, all
What is your favorite bird?
The swallow
Who are your favorite prose writers?
At the moment, Anatole France and Pierre Loti
Who are your favoite poets?
Baudelaire and Alfred de Vigny
Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Hamlet
Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
Phedre (crossed out) Berenice
Who are your favorite composers?
Beethoven, Wagner, Shuhmann
Who are your favorite painters?
Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt
Who are your heroes in real life?
Monsieur Darlu, Monsieur Boutroux (professors)
Who are your favorite heroines of history?
Cleopatra
What are your favorite names?
I only have one at a time
What is it you most dislike?
My own worst qualities
What historical figures do you most despise?
I am not sufficiently educated to say
What event in military history do you most admire?
My own enlistment as a volunteer!
What reform do you most admire?
(no response)
What natural gift would you most like to possess?
Will power and irresistible charm
How would you like to die?
A better man than I am, and much beloved
What is your present state of mind?
Annoyance at having to think about myself in order to answer these questions
To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
Those that I understand
What is your motto?
I prefer not to say, for fear it might bring me bad luck.


That is it for one night. I have so much more to think about adding here - images, etc. and I'm already fretting what I might be *not* doing when working on this.


No comments: