Monday, October 1, 2007

October Sales!!

I can't beleive it's October already! Fall is really here, and it makes me want to knit so many new projects! But if I start something new and don't finish stuff I'll never finish this scarf and I have to finish this scarf! I can only bore you so many times with my scarf saga, which I had picked up and fixed and put down again, and now... I picked it up and I hadn't marked off the last row that I did correctly, because I'm on a right side row and the next unchecked row is a wrong side row. Oopsy Daisy. I know I didn't do it last night because I went to bed early in a bad state. And I know I didn't do it Saturday night because Saturday night is the reason I was in a bad state yesterday. We went to dinner, and to the Boston Red Sox game, and then went to our local place afterwords, the Red Rock Bistro for drinks. That was a mistake. The wine at dinner, fine. The beer at the game, fine. The drinks at RedRocks baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. My husband and I were like zombies all day yesterday. It felt like we were moving in slow motion while the kids buzzed around us like hummingbirds 120 miles an hour. I went to bed at 9:00. I couldn't even read. My brain was making cracking noises - or at least it felt like it. So now I'll get to work, and once again the next time I pick up my knitting I will have to sort it out. I just put it down mid row again. I think I'm going to have to rip out this last row.
I went to my local yarn shop this Saturday afternoon. There were sidewalk sales throughout Marblehead all day on Saturday. Unfortunately I had no cash with me, and it was cash or check only outside, so what did I do? I went inside. She's closing her shop, permanently on the 10th of this month, so she's selling everything anyway. I knew I wouldn't find anything for projects on my list because it was slim pickings. But I cruised around trying to find something. I found this beautiful lavender cotton silk blend - two skeins of 190 yards each. I have no idea what I thought I could make with it, but I picked out some purple fish buttons that matched nicely to use for decorative purposes if I had the right pattern for it. The only problem was this took me about 45 minutes while my kids were tearing through the shop creating havoc. Ok - it wasn't that bad, but when Laurie (one of the women who works there) started keeping an eye on them for me I got both flustered and embarrassed and so I was just trying to find something to buy - it didn't matter what. But, by the time I got to the counter I realized I was having a mild anxiety attack about buying this stuff. I was just buying for the intent of buying and don't I have a huge stash already of stuff I don't know what to do with? I told her forget it and I'll come back later and dragged my kids out of there. Oddly, I left feeling a bit better than I went in. I'd rather spend my money buying for the projects I really want to make, rather than adding to a stash that I am unsure how to use. I'm pretty proud of myself actually. Now if I can just get that same willpower to work for food.

No comments: