Wednesday, September 26, 2007

How Knitting is like Marriage or Am I Addicted to Television

We're having a rough patch - this scarf and I. I've turned to Oreos and Wine to make myself feel better - which is not a good combination by the way, in case you're thinking about it now. Oh its great while you're in the middle of it, but suddenly you're one oreo and one glass too many and boy do you feel snoodgy. I don't know what snoodgy means, but think about how you'd feel with too much red wine and oreos, and therein lies the definition of snoodgy.

So we're sailing along, knitting happily. My stitches appear to be making a pattern, I get to the end of the row and its the right number of stitches, and I count them and they are correct for the next row. Then suddenly my knitting bad fairy takes advantage of a bathroom break, or somehow sneaks her paws in there while I glance momentarily at "McDreamy" from Grey's Anatomy on the television and look back and... what happened?? Something is wrong. There are too many stitches, I'm not purling where I think I should be purling. Am I too tired again? Probably. This time I put down my knitting while mid-row. I just couldn't get a handle on it. Will I ever ever get this scarf finished? Or will I set it down with the multitudes of other projects I have set aside only to start something new. I think what I need is a 'TV-watching' knit project. Something I can knit, without having to check, and count, and cross off instructions every 5 minutes. Ok, some of you - or maybe a lot of you are saying, "Just turn off the stupid TV". Yeah, I hear ya. Right. But nope - I'm brain dead - it's the end of the day and really I want to knit, but I also just want to absorb myself in the misery of the life of characters on a TV show. I don't want to think about the fact that I haven't bought my four year old an outfit for school pictures tomorrow and nothing is clean and I'm going to have to do some serious rummaging for something for her to wear come 6:30 am. I don't want to think about the fact that I haven't done dishes or cleaned out the lunch boxes and I'm going to have to find something to put drinks in tomorrow. And I really don't want to think about the fact that everything I put off tonight will be doubled tomorrow night when I'm thinking about zoning out instead of dealing with it. So there.
All I'm saying is - this scarf (we'll set the TV stuff aside for now, because I often knit without it on), - we have our good days and we have our bad days. Today is a bad day, but maybe tomorrow things will get better. I just need to take a deep breath, and try to solve the problems at hand and move on with it. Maybe if I paid a little more attention to my knitting and less on the TV, or on other things - it would get the attention it deserves and be sweet to me. Maybe I need to grasp the understanding that I've set a lot of things aside to be with my knitting, but I'm still not doing everything I can do to be there for it. I need to love my knitting, and my knitting alone. Turn off the TV and turn off the podcasts, (Sorry David Reidy and Brenda Dayne) and just listen to my knitting for a change. Tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Good luck with the leaf and acorn scarf! I too had to turn off the TV while I worked on it. I was so frustrated with it that I even told myself I'd just knit one row each night and then put it away. Somehow it got easier...

I did find blocking it a little difficult...the picot edging didn't turn out like I had hoped it would. I think I'll re-block the scarf...if you have any tips for blocking picot edging, I'd love to hear them!

Hinklebell said...

Vanessa,
You didn't leave me access to your profile, so I have no way of writing back to you, unfortunately. I know usually blocking for lace is done by soaking the garment and then pinning it out, which with a picot edge can be daunting. I bet if you put just the edge layered between two damp towels, and a low heat iron, would probably do it. At least flatten them out. What does the edge look like?