Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Knitting Fairy

It's true. I have one in my house. I have been visited twice now by the knitting fairy. Or maybe it's a gnome. I just love the word fairy and all it's connotations, so I have to say fairy. Maybe it's an umbrella term for all things good and fun and sometimes sneaky.
At any rate, a couple of times now I've gotten exasperated with my knitting. Where I am hopelessly tangled with messy messes and have far too many stitches on my needles and have to rip out several rows and the whole thing is so bloody horrible to think about, I sometimes just set it down thinking, "Is it really likely I'm ever going to have the energy to deal with this?". And then I step away. I wash dishes or put the kids to bed, or whatever, and I come back and take a deep breath, and sit down to deal with the ...wait a minute. WHERE is the big mess? (Re-count stitches...) Oh my god...the right amount - the pattern seems to match...um...guess I'll keep going. Thus...the knitting fairy. She clearly fixed it while I was gone!!
I guess I gave up on my scarf too quickly last night. I wrote a letter to ELANN swearing up, down and sideways that they had forgotten to post a corrections note on this pattern. Hmmm. looks like it was me after all. I'm sorry ELANN people!! Good thing I'm not famous or I'd have to print an apology and correction! They wrote back an email and offered to help. For the fifth time I sat and looked at the pattern, and counted out all the stitches as I would knit them if I were following the pattern and NOW it matches. Wait a minute - last night I got the wrong number of stitches 3 times!!! That knitting fairy - she not only fixed my knitting but she fixed my pattern as well! She is so incredible and amazing. I love her.
That's all. And now I'm too tired to knit. Too bad I didn't realize that last night.

No comments: