Sunday, February 17, 2008

Finding Peace in A Busy Life






It's weird to think where we find peace. I found peace today because my husband is sick. I know, I know an awful thing to say - but with him not feeling well, I was left to do whatever I felt like doing when I felt like doing it. It was a nice day for me. I felt like a new person who has control over her weekend days. But I do feel incredibly guilty about it. He is at the Emergency Room right now. I think he'll be ok, but he was having some stomach pain that wouldn't let up all day today, and so he went to figure out if it was serious or not. They didn't have a lot of staff on, I guess, because he waited more than 3 hours just to be seen and still isn't home yet. Guilt aside, I got some quiet time to knit and play with the kids on their video games and did a tiny bit of cooking and dishes and laundry in between. But it was nice to have a day without someone giving me an earful about what we should be doing.



Anyway, so the class was nice; we hung out and chatted and I learned a new technique for stranded knitting. I have to admit, I've had a tough time sticking with it. Can't teach this old dog too many new tricks I guess. Some stick and some don't. Anyway, I made this silly little hat while I was in the class - finished it that night when I got home.







What was really fun about it was that I made it up. I love the yarn too, it's some I bought at an indian reservation store in the canyons of Utah?, New Mexico - I can't remember now, but it was for making navajo rugs. The colors were spectacular. I bought 1 skein in about 15 different colors. As you can see it's a little big. It was smaller until I blocked it and then it grew. I may have to play with shrinking it a bit, but I'm scared to do it.



The class was great in that I realized so many things about Fair Isle projects while talking with the ladies. I didn't have to be scared. At any given time I'd only be working with 2 colors, and I've done that before, and all I had to do was keep track of the pattern carefully (which I've already learned with my lace projects), and I can do it! So I started on something I had in my que on Ravelry. The Autumn Tam, by Sandy Blue - pattern available on TwoSwansYarns.com.



This is so far the most beautiful work I've seen next to stuff by Alice Starmore. So I got started on it right away. I ordered the kit without telling my husband, becuase I just needed to do it and if I had asked , he would have said no. I know he's seen the credit card bill...and knows I ordered something, but hasn't mentioned it to me outside of telling me he knows I've been spending money on knitting stuff. Whoops I hear a car door. I'd better load the pictures quick and get a move on with the dishes. Here is my Tam so far.

1 comment:

Amy C. Moreno said...

gorgeous...i so understand the "husband stuff....they can get a just a bit grouchy at times, can't they? Maybe you can invent knit earplugs for wives..or a knit mouth stuffer...oops....I didn't say that did I?
love your blog. I found it from your father's blog, who I "read" from an illustrator's online group.